25 October 2013

Firenze: Going back in time to the Renaissance

The one place I have always wanted to go was Florence, Italy. Many years ago Florence was the center of medieval European trade and was the wealthiest cities at the time. The Medici family was a political dynasty and ruled during the late 14th -18th centuries. The Medici produced four popes for the Catholic Church and two Queens for France. Today, you can still see their presence in Florence. As I was in Florence from October 23rd- October 26th, I walked the footsteps of famous Renaissance artists such as Michelangelo, Leonardo, Ghiberti, Raphael and many more. I felt that I slipped back into time. I went to the Uffizi Gallery and the Academia and was able to appreciate the hundreds of masterpieces finished by famous artists. I was in awe when I saw the Birth of Venus by Sandro Botticelli.


Inside Battistero di San Giovanni, Florence, Italy.
Our hostel we stayed in was very close to Piazza della Repubblica that has a beautiful carousel all year near the arch of the Piazza. We walked over Ponte Vecchio which is a Medieval stone closed-spandrel segmental arch bridge that crosses the Arno River. The river reflected beautiful lights from the nearby buildings onto Ponte Vecchio at night. One of the most exciting things I saw was the Roman and Renaissance sculptures in the Loggia dei Lanzi off the Piazza della Signoria. Benvenuto Cellini’s 1545 bronze sculpture of Perseus with the head of Medusa was the most impressive to me. What is great about Florence is that there are so many beautiful sites you can see for free. Yes, a lot of the art that you want to see are in the Galleries that you pay for, but by walking around you see so much art on the streets. The view from Piazza Michelangelo was remarkable.  I could see the entire city of Florence by night. The lights of the city made everything look like a background. I am glad that I was able to finally travel to a historical city that I have only read about in my art history book. 

View from Giotto's bell tower, Florence, Italy.

Of course the grand site in Florence is the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore, the Duomo.  It was finished in 1436 by
Arnolfo di Cambio and Filippo Brunelleschi. The architecture period was Gothic-Renaissance. When I was standing in line to go inside the basilica, I thought that it was going to very crowed but that was the biggest open structure I have ever been in! What was really interesting that I found about the basilica was that under the flooring, you could go down stairs and see the original flooring and structure of the basilica when it was first built. It was persevered very nicely along with the frescos on the walls. I climbed 463 stairs to reach the top of the Duomo and 416 stairs to reach the top of the tower next to it. Total, in one day I climbed up and down 1,758 stairs that didn’t count climbing the stairs in our hostel that was on the fifth floor. To say the least, I was very tired by the end of the day. Florence is as grand as everyone says that it is. I am actually returning back to Florence in a few weeks to visit a few more things before I have to leave this beautiful country. 

To view more photos from Florence and some from Tuscany please view
Hannah Swick Photography- Tuscany 
Hannah Swick Photograph- Florence


Me at the top of the Duomo, Florence, Italy.
Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore
At Piazza Michelangelo, from Left to Right, Me, Bryan, Keaton
Piazza della Republica, in Florence, a carousel with 20 horses and two gilded “king's carriages."
Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy



-Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment